This is the handout for the keynote presentation hosted by 21CLHK Online for the Reimagining Learning conference in 2021. It includes a list of resources mentioned in the presentation, the slide deck and additional resources.
- Systemic racism
How does systemic racism work in international schools?
- Hidden curriculum
What is the hidden curriculum? How does it show up in international schools?
- Internalized racism
How does the hidden curriculum impact students’ sense of self? What is internalized racism?
- Campus social dynamics
How does the hidden curriculum impact group dynamics among students? Among staff?
The slide deck from the keynote talk is available in PDF format.
(For those who have attended my other webinars, this presentation will be similar but not identical. I include more material but they are not all shown in the slides.)
- Growing Up in Transit: The Politics of Belonging at an International School. Danau Tanu, 2018.
50% off paperbacks until December 1st to 7th & 35% off all books until December 31st .
Get promo code
- Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, 3rd Edition. David Pollock, Ruth E. Van Reken and Michael Pollock, 2017.
- Safe Passage: How mobility affects people & what international schools should do about it. Doug Ota, 2014.
- Misunderstood: The Impact of Growing Up Overseas in the 21st Century. Tanya Crossman, 2016.
- The Empire Writes Back. Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffiths and Helen Tiffin, 2002. (Note: There are other more recent resources on postcolonial literature.)
- Children At Promise: 9 principles to help kids thrive in an at risk world. Tim Stuart, 2003.
- See also Tanya Crossman’s list of recommended resources
See a list of other relevant resources here.
TCKS OF ASIA
A community group that hosts live open forums and a podcast that deep dives into the additional layers of Third Culture Kids that have never been explored before.
AIELOC MONTHLY COMMUNITY VISIONING
These three short, easy-to-read articles offer a brief introduction to the core topics listed above. These articles include extracts from Growing Up in Transit: The Politics of Belonging at an International School.
- Educating global citizens? Inside Indonesia. October 4, 2010. (This is a short article that I’ve dubbed ‘a teaser’ to Growing Up in Transit.)
- Osmosis: When Children Internalize Racism Through School. (Originally published on October 14, 2020.)
- The Hidden Curriculum. (Originally published on February 16, 2021.)
You can also download the free introduction to Growing Up in Transit.